So my Finish it Friday is coming to you on Saturday! The actual title for this post is...
Even the Pros Make Mistakes!
Now, anyone who really knows me understands that I wince at the thought of being called a "pro" at anything...but DH reminded me that since I get paid to do what I do, then I was indeed a pro (or at least I hope that's where he was heading with that conversation!)
So your Finish it Friday session is a lesson on how to fix a goof. Sometimes, what you had in your head doesn't turn out quite the way you planned and instead of chucking the piece, you need to re-think, re-use & maybe even re-purpose. In other words...make lemonade!
Lots of pics here & I will do my best to explain!
So here's what I had: I flat finished an ornament on cardboard mounted to a fabric covered board then mounted to wool...cute right? Face it, the only thing that really looks good in this picture is my manicure. I not only did one of these, I did 2 of these & both got what I call the "butterfly effect"...thicker on the corners that the middle.
There are several reasons for this. 1. I should have used a thicker mounting board for the needlework part so it wouldn't bend so easily. 2. I should have trimmed out my corners more when I laced it & then it wouldn't be so thick in the corners. 3.While knowing I should have trimmed the corners more, I didn't because this was stitched on a thicker even-weave which unraveled easily. With a little extra care, you can trim corners & lace even weave type fabrics...I just thought I would be able to get away with not doing it (apparently I didn't)
So here's what I did to fix it!
I carefully undid the lacing, mounting glue, and acid free tape holding everything together.
I pressed, trimmed the edges, and saved the bows, hangers & wool that I had already used.
I sewed fabric to the bottom of the ornament (I had some of the fabric left that I had used for the 1st try on the ornaments)
Next, I added a little trim of the wool I had already used. I just trimmed a strip with my pinked rotary blade, placed a little tacking stitch on either side. I re-used the ribbon hanger from the original ornaments and grabbed fabric for the backside of these pillow style ornaments. With right sides together, I sewed pillow style (remember my tip from last time), clip corners, turn & stuff!
Here they are stuffed, & ready to go. I actually like them better this way! My customer loved them. I did let her in on my little secret about what happened and got her permission to blog about it. The only thing extra that I added were the little poinsettia buttons at the top.
I hope you either picked up some tip along the way or will add this type of finish to your repertoire.
I finally got a chance to put up some Fall & Halloween decorations. The Halloween tree is new for me this year. I didn't realize exactly how many Halloween ornaments I had!
I love this time of year. Today is our first real "Fall-like" day & it's already October 5. 20 years ago today, my oldest son was born. We celebrated a bit with him last night & will again today with him & some friends from his group home. I continue to be amazed at how much he has grown & matured since he moved into his new home 6 months ago (6 months feels like 6 years!) He is at a good place right now & I am so thankful for that. This past year has had a lot of changes for me both personal & proffesional. I have my husband and my boys to thank for their strength & support. I've practically worn out my Kelly Clarkson CD (What Doesn't Kill You...) Thank you for following this blog & I love reading your comments.